Sunday, August 31, 2014

An Internship: A Twelve-Week Long Interview

The following link is a blog by Tim Elmore: http://growingleaders.com/blog/

Tim Elmore blogs about how unprepared college students are for the workforce. After a friend of his gave six college students a twelve-week interview, the friend admitted that he wanted to dismiss them after a month. Elmore then gives suggestions about how a student should handle a mentorship/internship. He advises that an internship should be treated as a twelve-week interview. An intern is constantly being observed, and because an internship can lead to great career opportunities, it should be treated like an actual job. He also writes that the qualities that make an intern stand out are a great work ethic, a great attitude, responsibility, and a hunger to learn.

As this is my second year with Mrs. Brooksher, I am looking at this mentorship year in two different ways: the second half of a two-year long interview and the first year of a new job. I am continuing to take on this interview with great passion as I did last year, but I am also taking it on knowing that I already have prior experience and treating it as if my "interview" from last year was a success. My attitude last year stood out to my mentor, I am continuing to show all the qualities that Tim Elmore wrote about in his blog. I am beginning to give brain teasers to the class again like last year. Besides the same things that I did last year, I feel like Mrs. Brooksher has confidence in me to give me more freedom in the classroom. Although I am, in a way, already past my interview, I need to continue to grow and enhance my qualities every week to continue to stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment