Sunday, September 28, 2014

College Interests

For this week's assignment, I took a survey on collegeboard.com about the type of college I want to attend. It asked questions such as whether I would prefer a 4-year or 2-year school, or a private or public school. Next, I had to find 3 colleges that I would apply to from the list and look at their degree program. Then I had to make my own criteria for the type of college I wish to attend. Finally I had to find scholarships that I could apply to. The purpose of this assignment is to continue the college search process.

List of Colleges and Doctoral Degree Programs

My Criteria for a Quality Program
  • Doctoral Program offered
  • Emphasis on Mathematics and Sciences
  • Small classes where student and teachers get to know each other
  • Offers students many different opportunities to follow what they are passionate about
  • Many scholarships offered
  • Low acceptance rate
  • Accepts AP scores
  • Beautiful, safe, and well-kept campus
Universities that Follow My Criteria
  • The 3 colleges that I listed above
  • Most Top Schools in the Nation
Additional Entrance Requirements for Mathematics
  • Previous study in mathematics
  • Taken high-level mathematics courses (such as Calculus)
  • Supervised student teaching experience
  • Licensure in the state that you planning on teaching in
My Criteria for a Quality Ranking and Educational Program
  • Medium to large size
  • Should be in location that is not too rural or too city
  • Should offer athletic opportunities and other extracurricular activities to students
  • Student body should represent different cultures from around the world
  • Most funding should go to research projects
Ranking for Program

  • Georgia Institute of Technology: 7th Overall in Academic Excellence Among Public                                                                        Universities
  • Washington University in St. Louis: 14th Overall Best University in the Nation, Top 10% in                                                                  Best Universities in the World
  • Northwestern University: 12th Overall Best University in the Nation, 12th in Research                                                        Universities
Associations Related to Field of Study
  • National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
  • American Mathematical Society
  • Mathematical Association of America
Potential Scholarships
  • Coca-Cola Scholars Program
  • Tommy Aaron/ Charlie Aaron Foundation Scholarship
  • Gail Ingram Scholarship
  • Northeast Georgia School Superintendent's Scholarship

No comments:

Post a Comment