Saturday, October 4, 2014

Mentorship Narrative

Today at my mentorship, I noticed a lot more things about Chestatee Academy then I usually do. As I walked in the building, I began to observe how every employee was dressed. Everyone was dressed appropriately and professionally, and the teachers who had important meetings that day bumped it up a notch on their wardrobe choices (this included my mentor who had a meeting a central office that day). Some teachers even had their own iconic look, such as Mr. Bennett who dressed everyday like he was on some type of business vacation at the beach. However, the ones who dressed up the most were the administrators. I think their decision to dress nicer than everyone else is partly a subconscious one as it symbolizes a hierarchy within the school.
As I walked down the hall, I began how teachers interacted with each other. Teachers acted towards each other like how their students act towards one another. The teachers cracked jokes and referred to each other by first name unless a student was around. It was eye opening to see the adults who were my teachers 5 or 6 years ago act like regular human beings. Teachers referred to me opposite to how they refer to each other. They like to call me Mr. Passmore and follow it with a chuckle because they are used to calling me by my first name. Teachers treated administrators a little different though. They friendly to them, but talked in a more serious tone and were not as relaxed as they had been when they were talking to another teacher.
When I got to Mrs. Brooksher's class, all of the students greeted me very loudly. I sat down at my desk and began grading some quizzes and entering them into Infinite Campus for Mrs. Brooksher. When I finished that, students called me over to answer their questions. Mrs. Brooksher then walked out of the class to go to the restroom and let me watch over the class. When she arrived back, it was time for me to head back to the high school.
I came back for her planning period. Today, the seventh grade teachers had a meeting with one of the assistant principles. I walked Mrs. Brooksher to the meeting room with a stack a papers in my hand that I would grade for her while I listened to the meeting. When it started, the assistant principle lead the meeting. A sense of teamwork and inspiration was coming from him, and I thought of it to be a little cliché. I began to notice the teachers in the room and how much it reminded me of a classroom. Some teachers were paying close attention and taking notes to what he was saying about the new copier policy this year, some were discussing about something that happened the past weekend, and others (namely Mr. Bennett), out of no disrespect of course, did not care a single bit about what the assistant principle was saying. It was as if the teachers were students and he was the teacher. I assumed that it was alright to act most anyway you wanted in a meeting, as long as you understood what to do and did not break any rules. I finished grading and had to leave before the meeting finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment