Sunday, October 26, 2014

My Profile

My Profile: Ever since kindergarten, mathematics has been a large part of who I am. Math was something that I found to be both skilled at and passionate about. I see math as something beautiful that can be used to explain the world. Also, the very discrete sections of mathematics are very interesting to me just because I like to see how numbers and functions can work together. This past summer, I had the honor of attending the Governor's Honors Program at Valdosta State University where I majored in mathematics.

One of my favorite things about math is the puzzles that math can create. Beginning at a young age, I was given brain teasers by all of my teachers, and I fell in love with them. Brain teasers were the most exciting part of class to me. These were what sparked my interest in mathematics, and I hope to somehow incorporate brain teasers into my future career.

Throughout my schooling at McEver Elementary, Chestatee Middle School, and currently at Chestatee High School, I have been lucky enough to have some of the best math teachers that Hall County has to offer. Each teacher I have had has inspired me in some way with their passion for learning to want to become a math professor one day.

My Mentorship: When deciding on who my mentor was to be, it was obvious that it had to be Betsy Brooksher. Mrs. Brooksher was my seventh grade math teacher, and she has inspired me the most to follow the career of teaching. Mrs. Brooksher teaches at Chestatee Academy and has been my mentor since the beginning of last school year.

I have two class periods with Mrs. Brooksher. For the first period, I am with her during one of her advanced classes. During class, I grade papers, enter them into Infinite Campus, observe
Mrs. Brooksher's teaching strategies, and answer students' questions. Every once in a while,
Mrs. Brooksher lets me give a brain teaser to the whole class. During the second period, I am with her during her planning period. This allows me to sit in on math department meetings, sit in on entire grade meetings, and discuss with her and other teachers about what life as a teacher is like.

My Future: After this year, I plan on attending a four-year university, hopefully at Georgia Tech. In college, I plan to major in Mathematics, and later, earn a teaching certificate. This mentorship not only looks good on my college application, but also has allowed me to figure out the path of my schooling that we lead me to becoming a teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment