Sunday, November 16, 2014

What My Mentorship Has Been Like / An Influential Class

My mentorship is a lot different from how it was last year. I've been doing a lot more grading for Mrs. Brooksher, and a lot less teaching. This is because Mrs. Brooksher has even more content to cover this year than she had last year, and she also seems to have more grading to do than before. However, I do enjoy getting to learn a different side of teaching than I did last year. Whenever I am not grading, I am helping students one-on-one as I did before. One of the things that is a little disappointing this year is the brain teasers. Because of both Mrs. Brooksher's and my busy schedule, I have barely been able to do any brain teasers with the class. However, I understand that Mrs. Brooksher has to make sure she covers everything she has too.

One class that helped me with my mentorship is the calculus class that I had last year. This is due more to the teacher I had, Mr. Skogman, than the actual class itself. Mr. Skogman is a teacher who is very knowledgeable in his content area and is very likable. This is how I try to model myself after to Mrs. Brooksher's students. He finds a way to explain math in a higher and more academic way than most high school teachers. I try to do this with the students because I feel like it would be good for them to be learn math in a way that will prepare them for high school. Mr. Skogman is highly respected not only for his mathematical ability, but also because of how entertaining he makes class feel. He is able to make students laugh in a very nerdy way. I thought that if I was like this with Mrs. Brooksher's students, than they would see me as the cool high school kid and would be able to learn from me better. I think that modeling myself after Mr. Skogman has worked well, and I this is the type of teacher I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment